Define a set of standard job roles. For each role, define a set of standard skills (both hard & soft) and experience levels that are required. Develop a competency model that includes these skills so that a clear definition of roles & career development path is available.
- Enhances the ability to assess the entire resource pool to identify potential gaps/excesses by ensuring consistent classification of resources.
- Provides individuals with an understanding of where they fit in the organization & options for progressing their career.
- The competency model should be designed to ensure that it is at a granular enough level to clearly capture a individual’s profile while not so granular as to result in significant maintenance overhead.
- Processes should be designed to ensure the competency model is reviewed & revised to reflect the changes in the labor market as well as changes in the organization’s resource needs.
- Training should be provided to ensure that both individual resources and managers clearly understand the definition of the competencies.
- Number of competencies
- Number of experience levels
- Number of resources at each competency & experience level
- Proportion of resources who have been mapped into the competency model